Image and video hosting by TinyPic

More Than Just Muscle

Lets face it, more often than not the struggles we go thru in hitting goals in strength or appearance are very often mental battles. The human body is an amazing piece of machinery and its always surprising just how much we as humans can do with our bodies which brings us back to the mental struggle! Those paces around the gym psyching yourself up, the staring in the mirror or how about the self talks in your head,all of which are absolutes.
    But what is it that separates the thought process of a monster and the middle age guy who is pushing just as hard as you? Where does that confidence or boost in mental strength come from? Is it all muscle or is it physiological in that the body and mind are connected in that way in which if you can make the brain believe it then the body follows?
    Just for conversation sake, if indeed this is a mental struggle then is there some sort of mind hack or training for the brain in which you can push the body beyond its expected limits?
    What do you guys think?

DutchPharma
    Dutch Quality-Domestic-Excellence in Service
    [email protected]

In your Mom's backyard, cleaning her Pool...!
    Very interesting.., and my reply to that would be, as "Ahnold" little it best, " what the mind can believe, the body can achieve "...!

'Size'
    Don't ask the Question, If your 'NOT ' prepared to
    Hear the answer.......!,

I "Don't" sugar coat shit....!
    I'm 'not' Willy Wonka....!

****** said it best, fuckin auto -correct..!
    Hear the answer.......!,

The willingness to give 100 percent day in and day out, without the expectation of immediate results is what I truly believe separates the successful from the unsuccessful. That is what I live by, and it goes for everything, not just lifting or reaching new PR goals.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrum View Post
    The willingness to give 100 percent day in and day out, without the expectation of immediate results is what I truly believe separates the successful from the unsuccessful. That is what I live by, and it goes for everything, not just lifting or reaching new PR goals.
    Very well put my friend.., persistence, and " un~wavering"
    Effort and dedication. "Bar-none", you fall Off the Horse,
    "Get the Hell back on the �� "..!

'Size'
    Hear the answer.......!,

Okay, the little question mark thing, is supposed to be a Horse, guess not compatible with the Emoji 's..!
    Hear the answer.......!,

Quote Originally Posted by 'SizeMatters' View Post
    Okay, the little question mark thing, is supposed to be a Horse, guess not compatible with the Emoji 's..!
    We desperately need more smilies/emojis here. Haha

Mental toughness, or willpower, is a tool that is used to accomplish our goals and to become the vision we have of ourselves in our minds. While lack of willpower is viewed as weak, it is often dismissed as a genetic gift or something molded in childhood by extreme situations or influences. While this may be true, most of us have some control over our wills.

The problem is that willpower isn't a switch that can just be turned on and off. It is a muscle that must be trained like any other. Instilling small but obtainable, daily acts of discipline can help us strengthen our willpower. Brushing your teeth every morning is an action that has been ingrained in us since we were kids, but those early years of teeth brushing required discipline. An obese person might start exercising his will by first cutting out soda. Next, he might walk a mile every day. In 6 months he might begin lifting weights 4 times a week. Initially these actions require discipline, but eventually they just become part of the person.

The aggregate of all these individual actions is a person deemed to have willpower or the ability to make and follow through with a decision.

It's not a magic button. It requires constant attention and consideration. The ability to exercise your will at a high level for an extended period of time is usually dependent on a goal.

If a goal is established and consistently reaffirmed, the rest is gravy.

The problem for many people, myself included, is finding and clarifying goals in the first place.