Muscle and Science

weightlift Training for lagging body part? What’s your take

I would love to bring my chest up a bit. I’ve tried many methods also bringing down the weight and keep constant tension and squeezing. It’s improved but what’s your take training a couple times a week compared to once? I feel like I grew better training 2-3 times a week. Once a week grew slower. I try to shock the muscle and tease it a bit

There so many different theories on this my tend to be arms sometimes good size but not we’re I want them I used to train them once a week then I tried every day and now I’m hitting them way less like every other week hard and heavy and they started growing more so train them less but more intense and heavy when you do

Everyone is different but the same overall concept is the same. Progressive overload is key. Mine are my calves so I'll train them twice a week. One heavy and hard the other is more volume directed but every workout I either increase my reps or the weight. They also get work on the stair stepper by moving my toes to the farthest point back without slipping off on the feet rest.

The same ideals can be applied to the chest as well. Hit your chest from every angle in your bench (dumbells and barbells) and flies and progressively increase in reps and weight or both if possible. Also never neglect dips and pullovers as they are good exercises for the chest also.

Frequency and volume have been the biggest factors for me. I'm moving fractions of the weight I use to fling around and I'm growing quite nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenolin View Post
    Frequency and volume have been the biggest factors for me. I'm moving fractions of the weight I use to fling around and I'm growing quite nicely
    I have to agree with you, man! I’m definitely lifting much lighter weights just hitting different angles. Less injuries too!

I too used to train like Branch Warren balls to walls grew arms quite a bit with that method but not so with my chest. So I did lower the weight and train them slower and stretching and feeling the tension a lot more and started growing. It’s trial and error but I feel like couple times a week is best for me and also stretching the fascia in between sets and squeezing the muscle that area helps too

I have had the most success with short breaks between sets and lower controlled lifts while focusing on time under tension. My coach always told me that my muscles do not have eyes and they cannot see how much I'm lifting so don't ego lift....best advice ever for guys like us.

Quote Originally Posted by jtip1810 View Post
    I have had the most success with short breaks between sets and lower controlled lifts while focusing on time under tension. My coach always told me that my muscles do not have eyes and they cannot see how much I'm lifting so don't ego lift....best advice ever for guys like us.
    Totally agree with you on this, your ego needs to be left at the door. I made this mistake for many years, when it comes to bodybuilding it's not about just moving the weight, but to actually have a mind to muscle connection, clean and controlled reps.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 09-27-2019 at 03:05 PM.