Muscle and Science

Thread: Lower back pain

Lower back pain

Was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my lower back yrs ago Thinking it was due to a combination of my time in the Marine Corps carrying a pack and than 15 + yrs of working construction and from yrs of lifting. Every once in awhile the pain would flare up for no reason at all but would eventually go away after a week or so. My back started hurting over a month ago but hasn't gone away, did the heating pad thing, took motrin but nothing has helped. Hurts more when I'm sitting and when I have to stand up to walk. Luckily after a few minutes of walking the pain goes away. I'm going to be 50 yrs old this yr so I think my age is creeping up on me and it's something I'm just going to have to deal with. Anyone going through the same thing? If so how have you dealt with it Not? Not interested in seeing a chiropractor or having surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit313! View Post
    Was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my lower back yrs ago Thinking it was due to a combination of my time in the Marine Corps carrying a pack and than 15 + yrs of working construction and from yrs of lifting. Every once in awhile the pain would flare up for no reason at all but would eventually go away after a week or so. My back started hurting over a month ago but hasn't gone away, did the heating pad thing, took motrin but nothing has helped. Hurts more when I'm sitting and when I have to stand up to walk. Luckily after a few minutes of walking the pain goes away. I'm going to be 50 yrs old this yr so I think my age is creeping up on me and it's something I'm just going to have to deal with. Anyone going through the same thing? If so how have you dealt with it Not? Not interested in seeing a chiropractor or having surgery
    Same here my man... 3 herniated disc and loaded with lower back arthritis and yes it flares up every so often, I use motrin 800 it helps doesnt eliminate the pain takes the edge off it!..for me I have to work thru it keep moving and it seems to settle down and Im good till it flares up again lol....all I can do is tell you dont let it keep you stationary...move and do some range of motion....I also have knee and shoulder issues , so getting up in morning is a bit of a challeng for me but after first couple of steps and a stretch or 2 Im good as new ....remember motrin 800!

Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    Same here my man... 3 herniated disc and loaded with lower back arthritis and yes it flares up every so often, I use motrin 800 it helps doesnt eliminate the pain takes the edge off it!..for me I have to work thru it keep moving and it seems to settle down and Im good till it flares up again lol....all I can do is tell you dont let it keep you stationary...move and do some range of motion....I also have knee and shoulder issues , so getting up in morning is a bit of a challeng for me but after first couple of steps and a stretch or 2 Im good as new ....remember motrin 800!
    Yeah I work through it too, figure the pain and discomfort is something I'm just going to have to deal with. I'm better off when I start moving around, it's that initial "get up" when the pain comes. It takes me a few to get moving because of the pain but than it seems to go away. My pain is on my lower right side of my back. When I'm sitting and laying down is when it gets worse. My shoulders are all fucked up too, popping and cracking. I have herniated disks in my upper cervical spine which yrs ago caused numbness down my right arm and caused a few of my fingers to go numb. Years of abusing my body has caught up to me. It hasn't stopped me from training, I still do that and take my "vitamins". Being that I'm almost 50 years old I just don't lift as heavy anymore, but I still want to put on as much muscle as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit313! View Post
    Yeah I work through it too, figure the pain and discomfort is something I'm just going to have to deal with. I'm better off when I start moving around, it's that initial "get up" when the pain comes. It takes me a few to get moving because of the pain but than it seems to go away. My pain is on my lower right side of my back. When I'm sitting and laying down is when it gets worse. My shoulders are all fucked up too, popping and cracking. I have herniated disks in my upper cervical spine which yrs ago caused numbness down my right arm and caused a few of my fingers to go numb. Years of abusing my body has caught up to me. It hasn't stopped me from training, I still do that and take my "vitamins". Being that I'm almost 50 years old I just don't lift as heavy anymore, but I still want to put on as much muscle as possible.
    Oh were around same age lol...exactly first couple steps and movements in morning are a doozy , but after minute or 2 of moving Im good or should I say better.....its like my joints are rusty and dont wanna work

I’m in the same boat. Degenerative arthritis in my lower spine and I herniated the disc between my L5 and S1. When that disc slipped it pinched my sciatic nerve against a bone spur and caused permanent nerve damage.

I hate to admit it, but regular cardio (elliptical) keep the flare ups away. I also use an inversion table. If it gets very bad, I take Gabapentin to block the nerve pain. As long as I keep moving and doing cardio, the flare ups are few and far between.

I’m 39 and it doesn’t sound like things are going to get any better!

Oh were around same age lol...exactly first couple steps and movements in morning are a doozy , but after minute or 2 of moving Im good or should I say better.....its like my joints are rusty and dont wanna work
    Yeah that's exactly how I am too.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I’m in the same boat. Degenerative arthritis in my lower spine and I herniated the disc between my L5 and S1. When that disc slipped it pinched my sciatic nerve against a bone spur and caused permanent nerve damage.

I hate to admit it, but regular cardio (elliptical) keep the flare ups away. I also use an inversion table. If it gets very bad, I take Gabapentin to block the nerve pain. As long as I keep moving and doing cardio, the flare ups are few and far between.

I’m 39 and it doesn’t sound like things are going to get any better!
    No unfortunately not(not going to get any better). I remember seeing this old Time lifters in the gym when I was younger limping around and thinking "darnn these dudes are fucked up" . I would talk to them and they would tell me, wait until you get my age and you will be in the same boat and sure as shit they were right.

Degenerative disc disorder for many years now, I just deal with it.
    Between that, shoulder arthritis and now bad right knee, constant pain is normal.
    Joys of an aging iron-lifter...